What is CE LVD Certification?
The LVD abbreviation stands for the Low Voltage Directive 2006/95/EC. In 1973, it was initially adopted in the EU to set the rules for quality testing of all electronic tools. Since 1990, the directive has been amended several times. According to it, all equipment to be sold in the EU must have a special CE mark. This principle was initially adopted prior to the so-called “New Approach.” The last LVD version was adopted in April 2016.
The key aim of the LVD is to guarantee that only safe equipment is sold in all EU countries. Therefore, consumer safety is the main objective of this document. The LVD is binding on all manufacturers supplying electrical equipment to the EU market. It covers importers, manufacturers, and distributors. LVD is applicable to all types of products to be sold in the territory of the EU irrelevant of the selling method.
LVD uses special standards. According to them, all electrical tools must be accepted by all the EU states. Moreover, manufacturers of any type of tools are strictly prohibited to use the CE mark on any goods that don’t match the LVD safety regulations. If the fact of such a violation is discovered, all goods with the CE mark will be immediately withdrawn from sale, and the manufacturer will get a huge penalty and will be prohibited to work in the EU.
LVD doesn’t establish certain technical rules that manufacturers of equipment must obey. Nevertheless, it relies on key technical standards issued by the IEC. Therefore, all manufacturers of electronic products must follow them for the manufacture of safe tools and devices.
In general, electrical equipment incorporated into other equipment and appliances that can be used without integration is included in the scope of the LVD. Moreover, any electrical tools produced for the manufacturer’s use are included in the scope of the LVD.
In what cases is LVD compliance required?
Product compliance testing under the Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU is required for all electrical items that fall into the following voltage limits:
- 50 – 1,000 volts for AC gadgets
- 75 – 1,500 volts for DC gadgets.
Therefore, subject to the LVD requirements are also DC gadgets charged with an AC connector, regardless of whether the voltage rating is under 75 V DC. The LVD conformity is mandatory for all integrated electrical components as referenced above and not unequivocally barred by European law. Nonetheless, it should be noted that regardless of whether an item falls within these voltage ranges or not, it can be subject to other EU regulations, for example, the General Product Safety Directive 2001/95/EC.
Besides, the LVD Compliance of a device can’t be guaranteed just by the CE certification of all its components. The device itself must bear the CE label to prove its conformity to the LVD 2014/35/EU. In general, LVD conformity is required for a wide scope of electrical devices and components, from battery chargers to remote gadgets, yet it isn’t required for the following types of electrical products:
- All gadgets that may be applied in the radiological or medical field.
- Electrified regulators for barriers.
- Attachments for home usage.
- Electrical equipment used in ships, trains, or airplanes.
Generally, LVD compliance is required for the following types of devices:
- AC adapters (for laptops, printers, cell phones, etc.)
- Travel adapters (universal adapters, adapters for the US, the UK, and EU countries)
- Electrical cables and wires (fiber optic cables, ribbon electric cables, twisted pair cables, shielded cables, coaxial cables, etc.)
- Lighting products (automotive lighting, ceiling lighting, LED lighting, garden lighting, exterior building lighting, stage lighting, etc.)
- Handheld home appliances (handheld fans, handheld steamers, hairdryers, vacuum cleaners, etc.)
- Audio and video equipment (tape recorders, amplifiers, microphones, light reflectors, projectors, CD/DVD players, etc.)
- Household appliances (toasters, coffee machines, microwaves, electric ovens, blenders, refrigerators, etc.)
How to pass the LVD certification
Generally, to pass the LVD certification, companies need to provide technical documentation for their goods. They should contain a full description of the device. Moreover, they must provide info about the device’s design, schemes of mechanisms, method of manufacture and principle of operation. These documents should also contain all other details that can prove that the equipment matches the safety rules.
Moreover, electric devices are subject to testing for conformity to the LVD requirements. These tests differ depending on the product type. The key tests are:
- Humidification test
- Ball pressure test
- Insulation resistance test
- Glow wire test
- Power measurement
- Needle flame test
- Air conditioning test
- Warming test
- Mechanical test
- Leakage current test
If you want to simplify the process of passing the LVD certification, do not hesitate to contact us. We will provide you with comprehensive advice on obtaining the CE mark and make all efforts to facilitate this process.
CE MARK LVD/EMC Certification
CE MARK Certification for electrical and electronic items is useful for your business and further developing your items’ quality. Electrical and electronic gadgets are given CE Mark affirmation under the LVD and/or EMC mandate. LVD or Low voltage gadget mandate is appropriate to all electrical items which work in the voltage scope of 50 to 1000 Volts AC and 75 to 1500 Volts DC. EMC or electromagnetic similarity discusses consistence for electromagnetic outflows by a specific gadget.
Benefits of Getting the CE Mark Certification
The CE MARK Certificate gives you the right to apply the CE MARK label on products, accessories, business cards, websites, and all printed materials as a confirmation of the high quality and safety of items you manufacture or assemble. The CE MARK Certificate shows your purchasers and partners that your products are recognized globally. Generally, the CE mark gives businesses plenty of valuable benefits. Below are the most common of them:
- The CE mark confirms the safety of your products.
- Companies can use the CE mark on their accessories, products, websites, etc.
- Your purchasers will be sure that your products are recognized worldwide.
- Improved product marketability.
- Verification of conformity to the regulatory requirements by an independent third party increases your product credibility.
- Expansion to markets where only certified products are accepted.
- Improving your product’s position in domestic and foreign markets.
- Obtaining advantages in tenders or public procurement.
If you are sure that your goods need to get the CE mark, we will be happy to consult you for free on how to get the CE LVD certificate and receive the CE mark. We will help you to choose the best approach and the most cost-effective solution.