Bluetooth SIG Certification
The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) certification
In addition to governmental clearances for Bluetooth goods, commercial release requires certification in conformity with the Bluetooth SIG’s criteria. Every product requesting Bluetooth connectivity and the Bluetooth branding should first complete the Bluetooth SIG Qualification Procedure.
After completing the Bluetooth certification, the company would have the legal right to use the Bluetooth technology and trademark, certifying the global functionality of Bluetooth-enabled devices. If your item needs to be clarified, we will assist you in optimizing your gadget depending on accurate testing results.
Bluetooth Device Compliance Standards
The manufacturer must first select a specific protocol to authorize a Bluetooth device. Bluetooth technology comes in a variety of kinds. According to the certification standards, regulatory Bluetooth monitoring is necessary for all variations.
Such regulations are not limited to Europe and the United States. The following is true of all radio technologies in principle. Marketing authorization in the target nation should be granted if the conditions of the particular organization or entity are clearly met. If needed, we can provide you with the requirements your Bluetooth device needs for approval in target markets.
Why Is It Important To Get Bluetooth Certification?
Bluetooth qualification certification ensures device interoperability through conformity testing. If a manufacturer creates products that utilize this technology and trademark, they must get a Bluetooth SIG membership and follow the established requirements.
How To Get Bluetooth Certification?
The Bluetooth Qualification Process applies to all products incorporating Bluetooth designs. These designs are specific configurations of hardware and software that implement adopted Bluetooth® specifications. Each design is assigned a Bluetooth product type based on the Compliance Requirements section of the specifications.
There are two main paths within the Qualification Process:
No Required Testing: This path is suitable when:
- Integrating another member’s Bluetooth End-Product or Subsystem without design changes.
- Distributing a third-party Bluetooth product with your organization’s name (white-labeling).
- Creating combinations using only previously qualified Bluetooth End Products or Subsystems without design alterations.
Required Testing: This path is applicable when:
- Creating a new design or combination not limited to previously qualified Bluetooth End Products or Subsystems.
- Modifying a previously qualified Bluetooth design, impacting core configuration/functionality.
- Qualifying a design using a previously qualified Bluetooth Component product type.
There are official tests that Bluetooth Qualification Test Facilities (BQTF) perform. Then, certified experts must accept the results of the tests and approve them. After completing all the necessary steps, you can distribute your product using the Bluetooth trademark.
Discover the complete list of officially accredited Bluetooth® Qualification Test Facilities here.
What are the categories of Bluetooth products?
There are three highlighted things regarding the product as recognized by Bluetooth. Usually, any Bluetooth product that can be easily available for sale across the market must be qualified as the final product.
Types of Bluetooth Products and their Qualification Requirements:
- Component – A design that assists, at a very minimum, all the requirements for one or more of that layer in the Core Specs and protocols, specifications of the Profile, and Services. For example, RF-PHY and Link Layer modules.
- Subsystem – It is a design that is a great controller, profile, or host.
- End product – Another design that supports a complete set of core architecture at a minimum with all corresponding controllers & hosts all main configurations and Services or protocols or profiles outside the core specs of Bluetooth.
Do you want to use the Bluetooth logo on the product?
Having submitted an application for Membership, the company must agree to comply with the rules, including those that are related to the Bluetooth trademark and its use. Only a member company can utilize the word mark and logos for qualified and listed items. Therefore, to work with this kind of product, the company must:
- Become a member and sign an agreement on the trademark use.
- Specify the items that will be sold and distributed under this trademark.
How much does it cost?
Costs are always variable depending on certain situations. However, we have an example of what you can expect when it comes to fees through Bluetooth Certification, as the annual fees of Bluetooth SIG (Special Interest Group) Membership are all free if it is an adopter member. However, when it comes to an Associate Member, then it will cost around $48,300 (if revenue is more than $100M) and $10,350 for an associate member if the revenue is less than $100M.
Aside from the base fee, there may be additional charges for obtaining Bluetooth Certification, such as the Declaration or Listing fee.
Why Choose 360Compliance For Bluetooth Testing & Certification
Products incorporating Bluetooth technology must navigate a dual layer of compliance: national regulatory approvals such as FCC and CE certifications, and Bluetooth-specific testing and certification. While seemingly redundant, both layers play distinct roles in ensuring product safety, functionality, and interoperability.
If you need professional assistance in going through such testing & certification, 360Compliance can deliver a turn-key solution for you. You will also get help with project management and consultations that will minimize expenses and help your product reach the market faster. With 360Compliance, you are guaranteed on:
- Transparent and fixed pricing policy;
- Professional round-the-clock management;
- Technical support at all stages;
- ISO17025 accreditation;
- Compliance with the Global Market Access rules.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact 360Compliance and get a consultation for your project.